Tuesday 26 October 2010

Edinburgh's Silver Swimmer

Click on the picture or read below for my interview with Commonwealth Games silver medallist Michael Jamieson. It was published in The Student today.



 Edinburgh's Silver Swimmer

Will Lyon speaks exclusively to Commonwealth Games swimming silver medallist Michael Jamieson...

22 year-old Michael Jamieson was just 0.08 seconds from a Commonwealth gold medal in last month’s Delhi games. The Edinburgh University Swim Team member was denied first place in the Men's 200 metre breaststroke competition by Australian, Brenton Rickard, and had to settle for silver.

Teammate Kris Gilchrist stated that himself and Jamieson felt they could grab a one-two finish, so disappointment was the first emotion experienced by the pair as they finished 5th and 2nd respectively. However, since then, Jamieson has realised his achievement.

“I was a bit disappointed at first, but over the last few days, especially in the second week in Delhi, it really started to sink in.

“We got to see a few different events and I think as it sunk in I got more and more chuffed with it.

“Some people were saying that it came as a bit of a surprise that I was on the podium in the first place but it wasn’t a surprise to me, I was always looking at getting on the podium this season.

“Obviously with the race being so close I hope it’s been looked at with a fresh attitude really because I think that the fact I was disappointed shows that I definitely feel there’s more in the tank.”

Jamieson has taken a lot of confidence from his showing in Delhi and believes that the organisation of Team Scotland was key to his success.

“I managed to qualify for the world student games last year which outside of the Commonwealth and Olympics is the only other multi sport event.

“I learnt a lot last year being at the athletes village which helped me prepare for the experience in Delhi.

“Again, I’ve learnt a lot over the last few weeks, just about how resolute we had to be, staying healthy and to avoid illness.

“I think I was quite lucky in that respect as there was a lot of swimmers especially in the Australian and Canadian teams  that struggled with illness as the games went on.

“That was down to the preparation that we had, so it really helped us to be wary of it.

“We had a trip to Delhi in September last year just to see the site. Then we had a few try runs from the village to the pool to get an idea the time it would take and how the transport would run. So I think the Scottish team had of an advantage in that respect, we knew what to expect.”

Leading up to the games there were concerns over the state of the athlete’s accommodation, but Jamieson felt it had no impact on his performance.

“The block we were initially supposed to be in was one of the poor ones but when we got there it was fine.

“We were prepared for anything really due to the reports in the media leading up to the games, but we were pleasantly surprised when we arrived!

“It was a bit rough round the edges and it wasn’t completely finished, but there were no major faults.”

Looking towards the future, Jamieson spoke of his ultimate goal, an Olympic gold medal. He then revealed how he is trying to achieve it.

“I’m sure my goal is the same as hundreds of other athletes but I want to win Olympic gold, definitely.

“Looking at the final in the 200 metre last week, there were five Brits involved and only 2 are selected for the Olympic Games.

“The Olympic trials is going to be for everyone involved, probably the biggest and most important point of your career.

“I’ve had a detailed plan and goal system over the past few years and I’m on schedule.

“I was to get a medal in Delhi and that was the goals for this season and it’s encouraging to be on target, but there’s a lot of work to be done.”

When asked if he felt any pressure to get an Olympic gold, Jamieson was quick to suggest otherwise.

“I’m responsible for the amount of pressure I put on my shoulders and I think that’s something I’ve had to work on in the last couple of years.

“Coming through the ranks as a junior I used to put a lot of pressure of myself and it would really affect me if I didn’t reach my goals, but I’ve learned how to adapt to that.

“I take confidence from every event that I compete in. I felt really relaxed competing in Delhi, I’ve struggled with nerves in the past, but I feel like I’ve matured in the last 18 months and I’m really comfortable competing in that environment.”

Born in Scotland, Jamieson is keen not to forget his roots, despite acheiving international success. Although he has also been coached in Paris and Bath he could only praise Uni's coaches and teammates who helped form the person he is today.

"The programme at Edinburgh Uni has been a great help over the last couple of years.

"Moving to Paris was a great experience and I still miss the city, however,  I’ve still got a really good relationship with Chris Jones, the head coach in Edinburgh.

"He's done a amazing job with that program and he’s the one responsible for the progress the team has made.

"Last year I went back up to Edinburgh for a few months and spent some time with the squad and the facilities they have at St Leonards are perfect for a performance group.

"I’m always happy to be associated with a team like that."

However, Jamieson must look towards the future and it would be fair to say that his Commonwealth success has only increased his enthusiasm.

Jamieson clearly has the potential to realise his Olympic dream and he hopes that in two years time he can achieve glory at the London Olympic Games.

"It's just under 18 months to go now till the Olympic trials. Over the last couple of weeks I’ve had a nice wee break but now I can’t wait to get stuck into the new season!"

No comments:

Post a Comment